Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Gin and Tonic Ravings

Hoo boy. I'm on my forth gin and tonic, and hoping to gawd I get some sleep tonight. The ol' bitch of the sciatic nerve is acting up again in a notorious way...and mama needs some help this evening.

This bitch has been on my back since Sept. when I was 3 months strong into a new weight lifting routine and decided it would be cool to run the hills in the suburbs of San Diego while staying at my boss's digs for some mural work. Never-you-mind I live in flatter-than-a-12 yr.-old Florida and I'm not USED to hills anymore....naaaw, I didn't see any problems with that, not at my resilient tender age of 30-fucking-6.

So I ran these hills....massive hills I tell ye...for at least a good week. Then I sneezed. A vertebrae shot out of my back, hit the drapes, and I haven't been the same since. Now I can't run, can barely ride a bike, and walking is just fine if I'm hopped up on Alleve or it's many generic counterparts.

I thought it was going away this last Nov. until 2 days ago. It creeped up on me out of nowhere, somewhere between reading the newspaper and blowing my nose...and now I sleep on a freaking baseball at night.

Yes, a baseball. The Sciatic nerve is located just below the end of your spine in conjuction with your periformis muscle, which, is right in the crook of your arse. If you had a perfectly toned bum it would be right where the dimple would be. The chiropractor I visited yesterday could not ensure me a comfy night's sleep, so I tried sitting on a baseball. It fits perfectly into the periformis like a cement fist. Believe me, this is a luxury!! It releases the pressure, much like accupressure I guess.

So I'm taking a baseball to bed, my friends. Right under my left ass cheek. And with 4 gin and tonics under my gullet, I hope I get a decent snooze for once.

Oh yeah....I spent all day working on Matt's new website, Mr. Matt Photography....it's not much to look at and needs to be worked on way more, but after I upload the whole thing it should be quite nice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mooselet said...

Hon, you have my complete and utter sympathy and understanding. But your back is never going to be the same again so drink up!

I had my back thrown out during a patient transfer over 4 years ago. The woman weighed 376.2 lbs - the figure is burned into my brain - and refused to do anything by herself. There were 2 of us helping her, but I took the brunt of her weight when she lunged for the chair and didn't let go of me. Bitch; had me on massive quantities of muscle relaxors and pain killers for months. I spent weeks walking like QuasiModo as my spine was all twisted at the L4/L5 level. Tooks 4 months of physical therapy 3 times a week for it to feel better, and it still plays up now and again for no apparent reason.

So name that baseball, sweetie, cos it's going to be your best mate for a while yet. :-D

8:23 AM  
Blogger Bostonbootgirl said...

Try Chiro, it's saved my back, literally. I've been getting it for years. My neck, which is horrible, hasn't had a frozen spasm in years. My ass, however...is a new development....

I'll name him Barry, after Barry University, Matt's old school in Miami which we just visited and susequently found the ball in a sports field.

Barry the Baseball, yep. When I'm feeling extra randy I put him under my left cheek and roll him around while standing up against a wall. It's a great message and he seems to enjoy it.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home