Tuesday, July 04, 2006

COMICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I've always been an alternative comic book fan since I first visited that little underground shop in Harvard Square when I was about 17 and got my first Heavy Metal mag and some crazy local zine with the coolest art ever. I never turned into a full-fledged fangirl...either my attention span is too short, or I have a life, thankya...but I still love comics.

My love affair with Tank Girl, Love and Rockets, Grendel and now Tony Millionaire's stuff is going pretty strong these days. How I love love love the work of Jamie Hewlett. I remember seeing a Gorillaz video in a store one day. I had no idea who they were but the song caught my ear first...the Clint Eastwood song....and then I had to see the video, because well, it's animated, and what do I love almost as much as comics?? Animation! As soon as I saw the crazy teeth I knew it was The Hewl. Kewl!!!! Then I bought Tank Girl all over again to replace the ones I lost in a million moves.

I always wished Hewllet and Hernandez (Love and Rockets) were women, because the women they drew were such kickass girls that real kickass girls could love and identify with. It's obvious they love women just from their characters. Tank, Hopie, Maggie, Penny and friends are such fierce babes! Every little punk rock girl wants to be them, or at least have them for friends!

Which brings me to the work of Jessica Abel. Since I'm not a total fangirl I don't hear about the latest artists right away. I just read her interview on Suicide Girls. She does a comic called Artbabe and has a new one called La Perdida. Her art, from what I've seen on her website, is frikken great. So I've got to buy more comic books, do I??? Guess I should dig around in my retirement fund for a few bucks or 2.

Also, another artist who I found through Suicide Girls, Ross Campbell, does some amazing work. He does the best little punk rock chicks. Everyone loves punk rock chicks!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home