Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Eve Interrupted Sexuality2 Women's Art Party

This post is a tad late, the art party happened on the 19th, but I've been a buzy lizzy lately! Penning a blog post is usually a time consuming ordeal as I'm constantly editing and reediting.

The party took place at a great renovated building in Miami's up and coming Wynwood District. A studio loft was rented for the occassion. There was also rooftop access, which we needed since HUNDREDS of people showed up.

Here is Carla, Sue and myself on the rooftop. We couldn't walk 2 steps in this party without Sue bumping into someone she met at some glowstick rave or goth thing somewhere. She's like the frigging pope in a parade!!

Mr. Matt took most of these photos, with the exception of the burlesque girls, taken by Carla.

Go here to Eve Interrupted to see more great photos. Thanks to Lissette Barros for a fantastic evening and a much needed infusion into the south Florida culture scene! Let's do it AGAIN! Thanks to Marla Warrington for the use of her Global Spirits Studio, which is up for rent for almost any occassion.


Here is part of the crowd....and I mean part....the studio had to be about 25'x30' with 12 to 15' ceilings, so it wasn't that big. There were hordes and hordes of hot women and a few lucky dudes trying to cram into this studio to watch the Subversive comedy sketch or the burlesque show.






Burlesque girls Morgan and Lola.













Photo on left is of La Loquita, an artist and entertainer, in wig and balloons and smashing femme entourage.

There could have been more art, but what there was was frikken awesome. So nice to see people who know how to paint again, and the kleenex vagina boxes by Lisa Lockford ruled! There was also some gorgeous sensual and feminine photography.

Here are just a few of the talented ladies that showed that evening: Pop artist Tee Davis, photographer Janette Valentine (who does pin-up punk tattooed chicks, which is something we certainly need more of in Miami!), and Barbara Hernandez photography. There were more of course....that fiesty Irish-Cuban blooded redhead, what's her name again?? Fucking great realist painter. When I get her name I'll post it.


Here are two of the pieces I entered. They received a warm response, and a few interested parties wanted to purchase, although I haven't heard from them since the show. But that's OK. I'm not in it for the money, and I'd like to hold onto them because I have more coming up. I'd like a cohesive body of tattooed or punk ladies and also my "comic book" character badass girls. I just need some good solid time to do it. That, my dear one loyal reader, isn't coming up anytime soon!

(Hey Moosey, wanna model??)

If anyone is interested in modeling, all I need are some good photos. I'll turn you into a goddess.

The red piece is titled "Temptation", the yellow piece is titled "Catwoman".

It's about time women started depicting women
(even though it's been going on for some time now). For years we've always been the subject matter of men who get all the credit. But many times they relegate us to just mere props...our beauty is celebrated, as is deservedly so, but many times that's where it stops. That's why I love women comic book heroines. It's hard for me to even read a novel...even a classic peice of literature...that depicts women who are soft and one dimensional, just filmy hangers-on in the periphery of the way more important world of men, a mere accessory.

I don't mean to bash men here, cripes, my boyfriend takes pictures of bikini babes. But there's a real hunger for women to see themselves in their own eyes as something more than just a pretty face.

When a woman depicts a woman in any kind of artform, she's recreating woman as she should be in her eyes. At least that's what I do, and what other women artists I've seen do. The women's art movement is one of the only places you'll see a thick boned girl painted as if she were worthy enough to be painted. And she's beautiful. A woman viewing the art of women for women feels lovely, ballsy, smart, sassy, sexy and finally, FINALLY, recognized.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mooselet said...

Looks like you all had a good time - what else can a person ask? :-)

6:47 AM  
Blogger Mooselet said...

Well, if I'd trust anyone to make me look good, it'd be you sweetcheeks. There are too many women airbrushed to death that our perceptions of what is real and natural are skewed (did I spell that right?). But to model - only if you'd give me a different body!!! This one I've got is far too natural with its stretch marks and, er, gravity affected parts, to be seen by the general public. :-)

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home