Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sick of it All

Matt and I went to see Sick of it All at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale on 9.22.06. This was their 20th Anniversary Tour since they have been together as a band for 20 years. Matt has been a huge fan for most of those years since he was a kid going to Boston area hardcore shows back in the 80's and remembers them selling cd's out of a van. I am a recent fan since I didn't much get into the hardcore scene then, unless you count Bad Brains and Minor Threat. But SOIA have to be one of my all time favorite bands today, along with Bad Religion. I love their sound and strongly identify with their lyrics. (The song of my life!)

There are a good amount of photos here with lots of blank space between because I can't seem to format pics and text right. Please bear with me cuz' Matt did take some kickass shots. Just scroll away!

Founding brothers Lou Koller on vocals, Pete Koller on guitar. Pete looks like something out of a Frank Miller comic in this shot.

























Rich Cipriano on bass.



















Pete Koller.




















Front row fans. Matt was able to get almost everywhere, this time it was behind the hated security fence. When you carry a professional camera, people just assume you have all-access.

The big guy here with the beard was a happy giant drunk careening all over the pit and hugging people he had just plowed over. The security guy almost threw him out but he hugged him too and all was well.




Lou Koller. Not bad for an old git. Wait a minute....Matt and I are old gits!
































Pete Koller. Another hottie. These guys really look great...lean and mean.

























Drummer's name is Armand Majidi. It's not the easiest thing in the world to get good shots of the drummer.

This was actually a pretty good pit going on in front of the stage. Helps that there were lots of old fans. Matt was itching to go but his back was injured and he was toting a $1500 camera around.










The next 3 shots is something SOIA do for their song Us vs. Them. (video) The pit is split into two teams facing each other ready to come together in a sprawling and kicking melee. See happy hugging bearded drunk giant in there?? He's going to hug some poor emo kid to death.


Ready..........



















Set.....................

(the guy in the scally cap is a Masshole, heh-heh)
























GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


(video from YouTube of another show)









Lou and Rich. A touching ballad. NOT!















See Pete grrr. Grrrrr-grrr, says Pete.

(this is such a cool shot!!)
























Did you know they won't let you into a hardcore show unless you have a black t-shirt on? Union rules.

This is some old lady who thinks she's all that and a baseball bat. Someone actually called me "Ma'am" at the show. Do I fucking look like a Ma'am to you?????????


That's it! After the show we hit a bar next door (I keep forgetting the name!) where an amazing band was playing blues and rockabilly. The inked and studded crowd outside from the show and the rollicking theme song from Ren and Stimpy lured us in like the moths to a flame. Now I'm back on the wagon and no drinking until Halloween!

I LOVE SOIA. Here's a little SOIA prayer:
SOIA Akbar. To thee I proudly cry. When SOIA Akbar strikes Thy ear, Oh! To our reply. Sorry, muslims. Please don't burn my camels.



Videos worth checking out:
Relentless (courtesy of our fellow south shore rejects at BlankTV)
The District
Step Down (we saw a lot of change-picker-uppers at this show...)
Just Look Around
Early SOIA


All photos property of Matt Ludlow of Mr. Matt Photography. Contact him for more info or permission to use.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gabe said...

Only caught SOIA a couple times in Boston. Saw Agnostic Front and Sheer Terror a lot more. All of it's good though. No one does old-fashion hardcore anymore. Even Slapshot's lost some of their edge.
That setup, the line of guys?, looks like the "Wall of Death" we used to do at The Channel and The Rat. I remember many a body getting crushed at those shows
I recently bought a total 80's geek tool: A tape player for my computer. This allows me to pull all the old stuff I had on tape and put it on MP3. Found an old demo tape of a Boston hardcore band, compilation tapes from NY and Boston hardcore record labels; In other words: the good stuff.
Check out http://blanktv.com/. They have links to a lot of punk and hardcore videos. Most of it's off Google, but there's ones from other places as well.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Bostonbootgirl said...

Yeah, I think that's what Lou called it. Wall of death or something. I never went to those shows because I lived in Hull. Oh yeah, you did too! How did you and Matt know about these things????

Blank TV are actually run by good friends of ours. The guy who started it is from Scituate.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Gabe said...

Small world, eh? I'll have to let my friend know about Blank TV: He's originally from Hingham, now loving in California.
And I found the Boston shows through my job at Brooks in Hingham when I was a junior. A couple guys were in the scene and got me into it. One of them, who's also my tattoo artist, went on to be in a few area hardcore bands. Matt may remember some of them; Suckerpunch and Masterbleed.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bass player is not Rich cipriano... is name is Craig Setari aka Craig ahead.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home