Saturday, March 04, 2006

Morning Coffee Babble (personal update)

Finally finished my website makeover! Go see at www.currierartandmural.com.

The old one was made a few years back right after I finished a class in Dreamweaver and Fireworks. I have a graphic design education and am familiar with some Photoshop, Illustrator and that kind of thing so it wasn't too hard to learn, even though I don't know crap about HTML. The old one was nice but after a few years it started to really sprawl, got loaded with links, text and weird colors. It looked way too amateur.

So hopefully the new one is easier on the eyes and more professional.

It's a gorgeous day out of course!! Yesterday I was able to do a pretty good weight workout at the gym and then a 6 mile walk on the broadwalk at our beach. The last quarter of the walk I was finally able to RUN! I hate running, but since I've had this sciatica I haven't been able to do that OR use weights much, so any improvement in my abilities is a good thing.

I credit pilates mat work (this book!) and chiropractic. The sciatica was so painful I couldn't even do crunches to keep up my basic ab/back strength. I was able to do basic mat work and now am stronger than I was when doing hundreds of crunches, leg raises and god-knows-what-else 2-3 times a week. Pilates is easier (though not easy!!!) and my tummy, while still sporting a layer of flub, is strong and flat.

I workout for a few reasons. #1: Things hurt more in my troubled neck and back if I don't. I'm afraid if I don't keep up some level of fitness I will have more physical problems. #2: I HAVE to for my job! All my jobs...except for 2 desk jobs I've had...required good physical conditioning. Right now in my day-job I am the only woman and I can't afford to slow anyone down because I can't do the same kind of work the men do. #3: I don't want to be fat, and I don't want to be old.

If I look at it emotionally, reason #3 is really reason #1. It's partly for reasons of looks, but really it's more for reasons that I want to be able to do whatever I want, whenever I want. I want to someday be the old lady who goes hanggliding.

Matt has been sick with walking pneumonia we think. He's finally getting over it, but it's been hard on him because he can't lie down w/o coughing. So he barely sleeps. It's 8:40 a.m. here and he's finally snoring on the couch after staying up late last night, he won't sleep with me because he's afraid of keeping me awake with his hacking.

Howie just got back from the vet yesterday after having his choppers cleaned and an infection treated in his back leg that developed from a cut. He's 13 now and getting closer to that age when cats start declining. He's been my loving and faithful friend since I plucked him out of a Hanover Mall pet store 13 years ago after I saw him hanging upside down from a cat condo while pretending to attack some old laughing ladies on the other side of the window. He's fine now, curled up and warm on his spot in our bed.

Today I go for another long walk...maybe a run...and put together a quote for a huge faux finish job. Matt might have a photo shoot today with a model downtown. By next week, we might be in Orlando for the day job.

And THE DROPKICKS ARE COMING! With SICK OF IT ALL!!!! (Moose, if you're reading this far, you might like these guys if you like metal or harder rock) We haven't bought tix yet since we never know if we're certainly going to be here, so if by Mon. we aren't flying out it's a fine show we'll see that night. Matt has seen SOIA a bunch of times, being the old-timer he is, and I've seen DM tons of times all over the country(I'm on their website...see this page, scroll up 16 photos from the bottom)....looking forward to seeing SOIA. They are definitely one of my top favorite bands.

Anyway, that's enough babble for now. Life is good, I'm a happy gal.

...just don't read the newspapers...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mooselet said...

I give you heaps of credit for getting out and exercising. I hate it. I loathe it. I come up with a million and one reasons not to do it. I know I'm closer to 40 than 30 (oy) and the gray hairs on my head that keep breeding remind me that I'm not a youngster. Yet I still don't do it. I suck - you don't. Good on ya!

Tell Matt to sleep slightly upright - might help him to not hack up a lung.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Mooselet said...

BTW, love the new website for Currier Art & Mural. Showed it to the Hermit this morning and he, too, was most impressed. We agreed that should you ever get over to Oz, free room and board plus meals are all included if you'd paint just one room for us!

Just one suggestion, if I may? Add a 'home' link somewhere on your pages, or keep the menu in the sidebar. Frustrating to use the back button all the time. Sheesh, how spoilt are we?

7:14 PM  
Blogger Bostonbootgirl said...

I hear ya. Remember when we were not even 20 yet and even just 27 sounded old? Nevermind 40. When I thought of 40, you might as well be buying a funeral plot.

Matt's finally getting over his cough. Sleeping upright didn't help at all, till now it's almost gone.

I keep thinking of going to Oz! Anywhere but here! I love my country, but, well, you know!!!! One episode of 60 minutes and I'm thinking of packing the bags for Vancouver. Believe me, I'd give serious serious thought to free room/board in exchange for murals! Hell I'd even cook them for you just to see that wonderful country, and my old friend again!

The logo on the left upper is actually a home button. But it's not really evident, you're not the only one to make this observation. I'll be putting a basic text menu on it soon. Thanks for noticing!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home